Sunday, 16 August 2026

on half eaten figs and why you never finish what you started

It’s August 2026. This year was the year of trying. And we did try, but somehow we’re still in the same place we started. The key word here is ‘tried’ because that does not necessarily mean finished. 


I started many projects this year, so many ideas I thought were going to be the thing that changes my life around. Perhaps it would have if I actually stayed consistent. If that sounds anything like your 2026, well, this is no longer the year of the horse, but the year of the half eaten figs. Cheer up! The good thing is that at least we did not let our figs rot. And 2026 is not over yet. I am no expert, but who is when it comes to life? Below are a few things I did notice as to why I never finished what I started and I hope they give you the clarity you needed. 


─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Loving the idea of having an idea 


When the light bulb comes on in our mind, it seems to warm up the whole body. Getting an idea is satisfying. A rush of dopamine at the anticipation or hope of something new, refreshing. The hope of it working out. I used to get new ideas daily. I’d wake up in the morning and suddenly I had a new business idea, a new account I wanted to start on instagram, etc. I would act on that new idea that evening, after work and the next day, I would get another idea, always visible in my mind’s eye as a better one. 


We tend to fall in love with that feeling, the ‘pre-game’ adrenaline. It is so much easier falling in love with the idea of having an idea, rather than the process itself. Having a new idea means new hope and the possibility of this new goal working out. You have an idea for a new novel and you can see the whole plot through. So what happens when we begin? 


Boredom


The adrenaline wears off. Take the new book idea as an example. When you get the idea, you can see the whole plot line. When you rush to write it, there seems much more to do. Suddenly the plot line has holes and you realise that writing a book means sitting down and actually…writing. Everyday. The process gets boring when the ‘new idea’ adrenaline wears off. A monotonous process of actually doing the work that is required to pursue your passion or reach your goal. 


Hardship and the misconception of passion 


Sometimes…it’s just damn hard! Sometimes it’s difficult to even get to a hundred words when sitting down to write. The worst mistake you could ever make is interpreting hardship to mean ‘not your passion’. Just because something is hard, it does not mean that it is not meant to be. It could be hard and still be your passion. Your dreams are not necessarily something that comes easily to you. Take the most famous classic writers. Kafka has mentioned several times in his journal when he could not write for days. 



Experience is good 


Let them rot. Sometimes, it is more beneficial to just experience something. Remember my old habit of getting a new idea daily and acting on it that evening, then dropping it like a sad sack of potatoes? I have accepted the act of doing something just to experience it. I have accepted certain passions and projects to be a seasonal thing. If you had the desire to start a crochet project and did not finish it because you did not enjoy it, so what? Drop it if it is not meant for you. What you do have is experience. Experience equals knowledge. And you are collecting skills like infinity stones. It’s a win win. 


This essay helped me gain clarity on the figs I have left to rot. I would not deem myself completely free of falling victim to a shiny new idea, however I have gotten to a point where I know what I like, know exactly what I want and am grateful for what I have experienced. 


Yours sincerely, 

Elena 




1 comment: